Literacy / English Resources
Audible offering hundreds of kids audiobooks for free
David Walliams is reading a book a day at 11:00am while schools are closed. You can find them here:
The World Book is a resource offered by the PDST. It’s like a virtual encyclopedia except a lot more interactive.
Epic! is an online library which offers over 35000 resources including “Read to Me” books, audiobooks, student tracking, reading level linkage with Accelerated Reader and other reading levelling schemes. It also offers high interest texts such as National Geographic Kids and Guinness Book of Records. It is suitable for children from ages 4-12.
Junior Infants to 2nd Class
Gill Education has provided free access to gillexplore.ie to all of the pupil resources from Junior Infants to 2nd Class from our Over the Moon complete Primary English Language programme.
Pupil resources for programme include:
- Skills Books
- All readers
- Pupil’s digital resources
Notes: Sign up required. For any digital support queries, please contact 01 500 9542 or email@example.com.
All class levels
If you or your child/children or parent/s are a member of the local library, you can access an App or website called BorrowBox. It is free. I use it for audio books and also, ebook. There is a children’s section.
Notes: To register, you need your library card which has your membership number on the back.
All class levels
Vooks is committed to being a resource for families to keep kids reading at home. Vooks can also be a welcome distraction for parents, allowing them to enjoy time with their kids, watching and discussing books together. To help, we have created take-home lesson plans that can be shared with parents and guardians – built to provide children with 20 minutes a day of read aloud time and activities.
Notes: Free one month, sign up required
Oxford Owl Ebook Reader Library
Oxford Owl has an ebook library with over 250 books in it and offers free access to teachers and parents once you create an account at www.oxfordowl.co.uk They also have some vocabulary and comprehension activities for most of the books.
As part of their Assistance for Schools response to Coronavirus they are providing Writing Legends free of charge through to July 31, 2020. Writing Legends is a comprehensive writing program, containing hundreds of activities for students in grades 3 to 6. The regular price is $11.50 (USD) per student.
Infants to Fifth Class
This site covers phonics, dolch, Jolly Phonics including tricky word lists and practice reading sentences following the Spellbound order of words and more.
Scholastic Learn at Home
Two week free trial available at https://readingeggs.co.uk/
Literacy / Gaeilge Resources
Duolingo – Gaeilge
2nd – 6th Class
Duolingo can be used for learning any language but I use it in school to improve Gaeilge. Teachers can set up a class and input their pupils. This generates a username and password which can be shared with your pupils. They can use Duolingo on phones, tablets, computers. Teachers can set a weekly goal for pupils to reach or set a new skill to be learned.
To help foster creativity among Irish children and teenagers during this current crisis, I’m running a SHORT STORY COMPETITION, aimed at 6-18 year olds, with lots of book tokens to give out as prizes.
There are 3 categories:
- 6-10 year olds
- 11-14 year olds
- 15-18 year olds
So this is the way it will work:
- 3 categories, 6-10 year olds; 11-14 year olds; 15-18 year olds.
- Each category will have an overall winner who receives € 200 national book token. Each category will also have 5 winners of a € 100 national book token and 10 winners of a € 50 national book token.
- Therefore, each category has a prize fund of € 1,200, making a total prize fund of € 3,600
- All stories to be submitted in word document or pdf to: firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday 25th March, 5 pm.
- Stories must be no longer than 300 words.
- Entrants need to include their name, email address, phone number, postal address and age, so I know which category they’re entering.
- Judges will be 6 Irish writers: John Boyne, Anne Griffin, Claire Kilroy, Cecelia Ahern, Paul Murray, Donal Ryan
- The Gutter Bookshop is supplying the book token cards and envelopes but the book tokens are national book tokens so can be used anywhere in Ireland.
- All stories can potentially be shared over the radio on RTE’s Liveline by Joe Duffy.
Covid 19 Time Capsule Work Book